GeM has grossed over Rs. 10,000 Crores in Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) through more than 6.16 Lacs transactions on the platform. GeM has made over 4.2 lakh products available on its platform through a network of over 1.3 lakh sellers and service providers.
Government e-Marketplace (GeM), the National Public Procurement Portal, turned 2 years old. It was launched on 9th August 2016, with the objective of creating an open, transparent and efficient procurement platform for government. Over its short journey, GeM has achieved many significant milestones.
Some of these are:
- GeM has grossed over Rs. 10,000 Crores in Gross Merchandise Value (GMV) through more than 6.16 Lacs transactions on the platform.
- GeM has made over 4.2 lakh products available on its platform through a network of over 1.3 lakh sellers and service providers.
- These products and services are being bought by over 25,000 government organizations (Central, State Governments, and PSUs) registered on the platform
- More than 40% of transactions by volume are done with MSMEs registered on the platform
- Buyers from across 36 States & Union Territories (UTs) are buying on the platform. 24 States & UTs have signed a formal MoU with GeM to adopt GeM as the core procurement portal in their respective territories.
- Average savings of 25% achieved across transactions on the platform
- Integration with Aadhaar, UdyogAadhaar, Ministry of Corporate Affairs21 (MCA21), Public Financial Management System (PFMS) , PAN, GSTN, Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA) and Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) empaneled rating agencies for robust registration process
- Training of over 40 thousand buyers and sellers has been conducted across 28 States & UTs to enable them to seamlessly operate the platform
- MoUs have been signed with 8 banks for payment integration (State GeM Pool Account-SGPA, Electronic Performance Bank Guarantee-ePBG, Electronic Earnest Money Deposit-eEMD) to facilitate a cashless contactless and paperless payments system on the platform.
- MoU signed with MSME ministry, Common Service Centers (CSC) and industrial associations (Confederation of Indian Industry-CII, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry-FICCI, PHDChamber of Commerce & Industry, IIA) for facilitating training, capacity building and onboarding of manufactures and vendors across the country.
- Integration with Quality Council of India ( QCI) for ensuring quality compliances of the products and services offered through GeM
The platform supports many best-in-class features and functionalities to encourage and support buyers and sellers. Some of these include:
- Robust catalog management with well-defined data types for the standardized seller and buyer experience.
- Improved, powerful search engine with advanced filters and functionalities for seamless discovery and enabling procurement policy related guidelines.
- Multisource, real-time price comparison to enable informed decision making through price discovery for buyers.
- Multi-cart functionality and market-based bunching of products to enable time-efficient buying.
- Support for multiple languages to enhance openness and usability of the platform.
- Advanced analytics to improve the availability of rich, automated information.
- Integration of demand aggregation to enable the realization of greater savings for buyers.
- Ratings for sellers and buyers based on performance on GeM portal.
- Bunching of products to enable buyers to make easy & seamless procurement.
- State Government Pool Account (SGPA) is opened and operationalized by Bihar and Uttar Pradesh. Chhattisgarh and Himachal Pradesh have notified SGPA and are in the process of opening accounts.
- Customized dashboards created and communicated to all senior officers in Government of India (Secretary and Additional Secretary &Financial Advisor/Joint Secretary & Financial Advisor) and State Governments.
- Rich BI using advanced analytical tools available to all GeM users.
- Bids for services now enabled on the platform.
- Automation of exemptions provided for Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME), Startups through integration with Udyog Aadhar/Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion.
GeM is an end-to-end, one-stop online marketplace for Central and State Government Ministries and Departments, Central & State Public Sector Undertakings (CPSUs & SPSUs), autonomous institutions and local bodies for procurement of common use Goods & Services.