Brief Introduction to the National Productivity Council
NPC is a national level organization to promote productivity culture in India. Established by the Ministry of Industry, Government of India in 1958, it is an autonomous, non-profit organization with equal representation from employers’ & workers’ organizations and Government, apart from technical & professional institutions and other interests.
The Union Minister for Commerce and Industry is the President of Council, and the Secretary, Department for Promotion of Industry & Internal Trade is the Chairman of the Governing Body of the Council.
The Director-General is the Principal Executing Officer of the Council. NPC has 12 Regional Offices and one Training Institute in Chennai, located in major State Capitals/industrial centre with Headquarter in New Delhi and has the strength of around 124 full time professional/consultants. In addition, services of outside specialists and faculty are also enlisted on projects-based requirements.
|AIP Institute, Chennai||1|
Commenting on the core vision of NPC and it’s set of priorities for promoting quality and productivity, Shri Arun Kumar Jha, Director General of NPC stated, “NPC is working in the area of knowledge-driven productivity for organizations and institutions which can contribute in taking the Indian economy to globally competitive scale successfully. We are committed to work with organizations who wish to exceed their best output and have a vision to optimise their output.”
NPC and Asian Productivity Organisation (APO)
Government of India is the founder member of the Tokyo-based Asian Productivity Organisation (APO), an Inter-Governmental Body, since 1961. NPC represents Government of India in APO and is also the Nodal Agency in charge of organizing Indian participation in the training programmes, workshops and seminars offered by APO to Member Countries on different subjects related to productivity. NPC also hosts APO programmes in India every year for participants of Member Countries.
Digital Learning Mandate of NPC
In the COVID era, NPC has shown serious focus towards ensuring skill evelopment and learning activities to continue the way they were happening ealrier. Webinars and digital learning have become a major mandate for NPC.
So far, NPC have conducted over 800 Webinars and delivered over 91 E-learning Cources. The Digital learning activities from the institution also covers over 286 We Talks and 50 Youtube Learning Series have been organized.
Flagship Ongoing Activities from NPC
Introduction About BHARAT 4.0
Industry 4.0 or the fourth industrial revolution is characterized by the increasing digitalization with the vertical and horizontal interconnection of value chains and Supply Networks. Industry 4.0 is driven by an amalgamation of emerging technologies like the Internet of Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics, AR/VR etc.
Bharat 4.0-Digital Readiness Assessment Tool has been conceptualized and developed by Centre of Excellence (CoE) on Industry 4.0, NPC (DPIIT, Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Govt. of India). The Tool can be used by the Industry/SMEs to assess the current level of the digital readiness of the organisation in terms of five maturity levels expressed in terms of SMART(Starter, Managed, Adaptive, Realizer, Top-Notch). It also provides an overall assessment indicating the requirements/strategies to be adopted to transform to the next level. The Tool is applicable to all companies, regardless of industry, size, profile, and I4.0 Maturity.
Know Your Productivity (KYP)
NPC has launched an online tool to Know Your Productivity (KYP) focussed on manufacturing industries and it is free to all. It will be a great help for the company to understand their productivity status and identify potential improvement areas in a short time.
This tool uses a Digital Questionnaire Form which will be filled by the interested user. After submitting the form the user will receive his Know Your Productivity report instantly on his email.
The KYP for Manufacturing Industries consists of 9 sections. The first section collects detail about the user. Remaining 8 sections belong to Finance, HR, Material, Production, Maintenance, Energy, Environment and Goal & Value. All sections have it’s own importance to understand the productivity of a company.
PROFESSIONAL SERVICES OF NPC
National Productivity Council (NPC) is a one stop solution for providing consultancy, guidance and mentorship for any kind of productivity related issues.
- Productivity Promotion: The formation of National Productivity Council is being celebrated every year all over the country by commemorating 12th February as Productivity Day and the whole month as Productivity Month. The purpose is to draw the attention of all concerned, towards the concept and encourage implementation of productivity tools and techniques with contemporary relevant themes. This Productivity month, Sixty two training programmes were held throughout the country covering all states.
- Consultancy: Professional consultancy services are provided by NPC for improvement of productivity, quality, profitability, and growth at entire organizational level. NPC is promoting and disseminating productivity skills through consultancy to the private and public corporate sectors, Central and State Governments, industry associations, their members, and other client groups. Over 200 consultancy projects are completed every year.
- Research: NPC conducts activity-based research on project basis, to collect and analyze data and information on productivity-related topics in various sectors of the Indian economy. The topics include the existing challenges and emerging needs of sectors.
- Training & Capacity Building: NPC’s major training activities are primarily focused on developing human resources: people who can act as catalysts within the productivity movement of Indian economy. These training courses cover a wide range of productivity management issues in various areas including industry and service, agriculture, energy, environment, and local/regional development. NPC conducts more than 300 capacity building program enhancing the skills of more than 10,000 officials every year. NPC also organizes regional and sectoral conferences to impart knowledge on emerging issues and findings and discuss management strategy for the same. Conducting studies, research surveys, evaluations etc. on matters relating to productivity /quality improvement for enterprises, governments and others.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: NPC has been involved in productivity assessments and directly and indirectly in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) studies and Performance Management of various Government funded projects and schemes, as well as private sector initiatives including industrial processes and across supply chains. NPC through its various divisions, namely Economic services, Industrial engineering / Process management, Information technology, Environment management, Agri-business management, Human Resource Management, Energy Management, International Services etc., has undertaken a vast variety of projects across sectors and sub-sectors for government, international organizations and other agencies.NPC has the tools that are utilized for project management and planning and for undertaking econometric and statistical analysis of data that need to be obtained through suitable sampling technique, besides having GIS software pertaining to GIS-based applications. NPC has further developed institutional linkages in order to offer cloud-based IT platforms for real-time Monitoring & Evaluation of projects, including Government schemes and infrastructure development projects.
- Recruitment: NPC is conducting both Online & Offline examinations for various government and private organisations such as for Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks (CGPDTM), Airport Authority of India, BSES, Paradip Port Trust etc. NPC specialises in providing end to end solution for recruitment such as application processing, providing payment gateway, the conduct of offline and online examination, Question paper setting, evaluation, the conduct of Interviews etc. NPC has been conducting examinations at PAN India level and also conduct trade-related skill tests and typing tests.
NPC aims to provide cost-effective, fair and transparent examination procedure and to ensure the completion of the entire examination process in an unbiased, strictly confidential, hassle-free manner.
AIP Chennai: Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Productivity (AIP) is a Training Institute having facilities of classrooms, hostels, and well equipped industrial energy units (acting as Centre of Excellence) at Chennai. CETEE, as mentioned above is a centre of excellence and is well equipped with various industrial equipments for energy efficiency. AIP is equipped with the various Industrial Energy Utility equipment designed to demonstrate practically various aspects of energy efficiency opportunities and Energy conservation technique as applicable in industries. Participants themselves can operate the equipments and change the operating parameters to learn the impact of efficient operation, change to energy saving mode, conduct testing for performance evaluation of systems through:
- Pump Training Facility
- Compressor Training Facility
- Fan Training Facility
- Boiler Training Facility
- Steam Trap Training Facility
- Open Burner Training Facility and
- Combustion Furnace Training Facility
In addition to the above services, NPC also has domain specific services such as:
- AGRI BUSINESS SERVICES
- ECONOMIC SERVICES
- ENERGY MANAGEMENT
- ENVIRONMENT MANAGEMENT
- HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
- INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING
- TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT