Swachhta Campaign Initiative:
The Ministry of Coal and Coal PSUs continue their dedicated cleanliness and sustainable practices as part of Swachhta Pakhwada-2023. These initiatives underscore the Ministry’s commitment to environmental responsibility and enhancing the quality of workspaces and communities.
Some of the achievements of the Ministry during Special Campaign 2.0 during October 2022 were commendable. The Ministry cleaned a vast area of 3,023,788 square feet during the campaign, demonstrating a commitment to cleaner work environment. In an environmentally conscious effort, over 5,409.5 metric tonnes of scrap was disposed of, thereby generating a revenue of Rs. 48.5 crore.
Sustainable Waste Management Initiatives:
Innovative initiatives included transforming the scrap yard in Kothagudem Area, SCCL, Hyderabad, into productive crop land, contributing to sustainable land use. The CCL’s creation of the “Kachra Udyan” from scrap, disposed items, tires, pipes and carts was widely appreciated. This initiative is a pilot project slated for expansion at proposed Eco-parks and other coal company premises, showcasing a strong commitment to the 3R (Reduce-Reuse-Recycle) concept and sustainable waste management.
The Follow-up Action (Jan to Aug 2023):
In the ongoing Swachhta Pakhwada efforts, the Ministry of Coal and PSU’s accomplishments for the period of January to August 2023 include:
- Cleaning an impressive 6,929,401 square feet of space, maintaining a high standard of cleanliness.
- Responsible disposal of over 10,266 metric tons of scrap, resulting in revenue generation of Rs. 70 crores.
- Extensive awareness campaigns for cleanliness, including banners, message displays, Nukkad Nataks (street plays), seminars, and counseling sessions.
- Constructing “Recharge Wells” for rainwater harvesting, contributing to water conservation efforts.
- Promoting awareness to curb the use of Single Use Plastics (SUP) and distributing eco-friendly jute/cloth bags
- Transforming waste land into a green belt, with approximately 108,900 sq. ft. of land near Thai Moogambigai Temple, Block-8, cleared of dense vegetation and repurposed for mass tree plantation and Green Belt Development.
- Utilizing freed spaces for multiple purposes including parking, record rooms, sitting areas, construction of toilets, gardening, plantation, and expanding mine projects.
- Enhancing the work environment by placing small air purifier saplings in all sections of the Ministry with the logo “Swacchata Pakhwada 2023.
These ongoing initiatives reflect the Ministry of Coal and PSU’s resolute commitment to fostering cleanliness, sustainability and responsible waste management. Swachhta Pakhwada 2023 serves as a testament to their dedication to creating a cleaner, greener and healthier environment for all.