PMKVY 3.0 (2020-21) Scheme to be launched soon
STRIVE: New Initiatives and Milestones Achieved under Skill Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement – 244 ITIs have signed Performance-based grant agreement
Skill Mapping: A number of steps taken regarding Health sector job role mapping of 15 countries for mobility and migration of labour
The major initiatives taken by the Ministry during the Year-2020 are as follows:
- The National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) was subsumed in NCVET on 01.08.2020. This fulfils the mandate of the NCVET notification of 05.12.2018 which provided for the merger of the existing National Council for Vocational Training (NCVT) and NSDA with NCVET.
- The NCVET finalized the Awarding Body and Assessment Agency Guidelines and launched the same. Similarly, an Unique Identifiable Certification System was finalized and Launched.
- National Skill Development Mission (NSDM): 4th Meeting of the Executive Committee Meeting of the National Skill Development Mission was held under the Chairpersonship of Secretary, MSDE to discuss the following issues: –
- Review the progress under seven sub-missions under NSDM
- Detailed discussion on key features of upcoming scheme PMKVY 3.0
- Discussion on Online and blended learning model to address challenges of disruption in training and challenges in global mobility
- Strengthening Training of Trainers/Assessors
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY)
- Approval for PMKVY 3.0 (2020-21) Scheme– Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) 3.0 (2020-21) was approved by the Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) in the meeting held on 17th September 2020 under the chairmanship of Secretary (Expenditure). The new (PMKVY 3.0) (2020-2021) is targeting to train 8 Lakh candidates at an outlay of INR 948.90 Crore during 2020-21. Guidelines and requisite SOPs are currently under preparation. The Scheme shall be launched shortly.
- On-boarding of PMKVY Scheme on UMANG Platform – PMKVY Scheme has been successfully on-boarded on the UMANG Platform. Various services of the PMKVY scheme are live on the UMANG Platform as follows:
a. Candidate Registration
b.Find a Training centre
c. Track Status
Further, APIs for integration of Apprenticeship portal with UMANG application have been developed and handed over to UMANG team for further necessary action.
Trainings at ITIs/NSTIs and promotion of Apprenticeship
- Examinations in NSTI/ITI: AITT for Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS) is being held from 23.11.2020 onwards. About 14.5 Lakhs Hall Tickets were generated and all states except Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Delhi & Gujarat participated in the examinations
- All India Trade Test (AITT): AITT for the Craft Instructor Training Scheme (CITS) trainees of the Session 2019-20, for the First batch of trainees was successfully conducted from 09/10/2020 till 18/10/2020 and for Second batch of trainees from 06/11/2020 till 13/11/2020.
- Online Virtual classes: Online virtual classes for ITI trainees are being conducted using dedicated Virtual classroom software by ITI expert trainers, Skilled experienced NSTI Officers and Industry experts. During July 2020, total 288 classes were conducted and 1.39 lakh students participated. So far 2858 online virtual Classes conducted and 15,72,522. For the convenience of the trainees, all recorded lectures have been made online through YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/c/NimiVirtualclassroom. There are around 8341 active subscribers with around 32000 people who have watched the videos.
- Inauguration of NSTI Websites: Inauguration of websites for all the 33 National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs) (with common templates) was done by Hon’ble Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship on 10th Sept’ 20 during Kaushalcharya Awards 2020 function.
- Digital Platform: A digital skill platform has been developed for reskilling/upskilling of ITI instructors and trainees which integrates trainees, teachers, institutes, government and the corporates for complete life cycle of the training process and a pilot run has made successfully.
- Activities for Promoting Apprenticeship: A D.O letter from Secretary, MSDE was issued to Chief Secretaries of all States requesting them to support in promotion of Apprenticeship training in establishments of their respective states by making engagement of apprentices as mandatory requirement and essential parameter for receiving the benefits under State Industrial Promotion Policy. Similarly, a D.O. letter to MSME Ministry was issued to highlight the provisions of the Apprenticeship Act and benefits available under NAPS Schemes. MSME Ministry was requested to support in encouraging apprenticeship training across MSME establishments. Further, nine new trades/courses were approved by the Technical Approval Committee for courses under Optional Trades.
- STRIVE: The new initiatives and milestones achieved under Skill Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE) programme are as under:
- 33 Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) have signed tripartite agreement to participate in the programme. Till date a total of 244 ITIs have signed Performance based grant agreement.
- MoU has been signed between UT of Jammu & Kashmir and Govt. of India to implement the STRIVE project. Till date 32 States/UTs have signed MoUs to implement STRIVE.
- 240 officials have been trained under NSQF (National Skills Qualification Framework) compliance training. Till date 13,750 officials have been trained under NSQF.
- The draft Recruitment, Training and Career Progression Policy document for Craft instructors/Trainers of ITIs has been sent for approval of Recommendation Committee of Norms & Courses.
- Video Conference was held for selected Industry clusters under the STRIVE project to support them in implementation of Industry Apprentice Initiative (IAI) Plan.
- 193 ITIs have been physically visited by external agency for grading under phase 2. Till date 11,486 ITIs have been physically visited by the external agency.
- Letters have been sent to various states requesting faster fund transfer from state treasury to implementing agencies under the STRIVE project.
SANKALP (Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion)
- Launch of SANKALP Portal: SANKALP (Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion) Web-portal was launched on 18th September 2020. The Go-Live includes (i) State Best Practices module; (ii) Program Management Tool; (iii) State Proposal Management System; (iv) State Incentive Grants; (v) Monitoring & Evaluation Tool; and (vi) DSDP Awards.
- Launch of Online DSDP Toolkit: The online version of the District Skill Development Planning (DSDP) Toolkit was made live on the SANKALP Web-portal on 24th September 2020. The DSDP Toolkit will assist the District officials in planning, implementation and monitoring of the skill development initiatives in their Districts.
- MGNF: Mahatama Gandhi National Fellowship Scheme was launched in partnership with IIM Bangalore on 8th March 2020, wherein 74 Fellows were selected and attached to districts for doing the IIM Fellowship Programme on Skilling.
- Health Sector Cooperation with Switzerland: A concept note has been prepared for the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI), under the Swiss Federal Department of Economic Affairs, Education and Research (EAER), to discuss the possibilities for collaboration in the field of Health Sector. This was sent to embassy of India in Switzerland.
- Skill Partnership with Australia: The Union Minister for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship held a virtual meeting with Mr. Barry O’Farrell, Australian High Commissioner to India on 30.09.2020 on the MoU on Cooperation in Vocational Education and Training between the two countries, which was signed on 03.06.2020. This was a follow up of India-Australia Leaders’ Virtual Summit held on 4th June, 2020 between Hon’ble Prime Ministers of India and Australia.
- Skill Mapping: A number of steps were taken regarding Health sector job role mapping of 15 countries for mobility and migration of labour. A virtual conference was held on 27th August 2020 with DFID, Skills for health and UK skills for discussing about the qualification requirements UK and India regarding the health sector job roles. In the 11th JWG held on 26th August, 2020 with Germany, the issue of health sector mapping was discussed and it was suggested that an expert group (with MSDE, MEA and German Embassy) as sub working group under the current MoU would be created to decide the further course of action. For other countries Letters/ emails were sent to Ministry of External Affairs/ Embassy at all countries in this regard, requesting for video conferencing with the regulatory authorities of these countries.
- Migration of Health Workers to foreign countries: A number of steps have been taken for enabling migration of health workers to foreign countries, Health sector job role mapping of Indian job roles with those in fifteen countries has been done. A sub Working Group is being set up for migration of heath care workers to Germany comprising representatives from MSDE, MEA, Embassy of India in Germany, NSDC, DGT, NCVECT, Health Sector Skill Council and representative of the German Government and German Embassy. Reminder Letters/emails sent to Ministry of External Affairs and Embassy of all countries requesting for video conferencing with the regulatory authorities of these countries.
- MoUs: A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Ministry of Shipping (MoS) on 20th August, 2020, for establishing a framework for collaboration to harness the innate capabilities for skill development in Ports & Maritime sector and enhance skilling capacities to deal with the rapidly changing competition and provide for port led prosperity.
- Flexi MoU: In order to further rope in potential industries under the scheme of Flexi MoU, dedicated VCs have been conducted with following employers: Toyota Kirloskar Motors Bengaluru, Saharsa Electronics Noida, Lava international Ltd Noida and Maruti Paper Ltd U.P. The industries are expected to sign MoU with DGT under the Flexi MoU scheme in coming weeks.
- IIS Mumbai: The Operations Agreement for establishing IIS at Mumbai was signed on 11th November, 2020 amongst MSDE, DGT and TATA IIS. IIS Mumbai started functioning on 25th December 2020.
- ASEEM: ASEEM portal was launched in July 2020, which is a directory of all certified skilled personnel in the country, available to recruiters at the click of the mouse. Till December details of 1.3 crore skilled personnel were onboarded on the portal, and around 14 lakh job offers made.
- Partnership with IBM: The IBM DGT partnership on Skills Reignite and Skills Build Innovation Camp was inaugurated by Secretary on 24th June 2020.
- Partnership with Microsoft: NSDC signed a non-financial MoU with Microsoft for jointly engaging with various development opportunities in skill development and to digitally skill 1 lakh youth. Under it, Microsoft will also integrate its Microsoft Learn platform with the NSDC eLearning platform eSkillIndia.
- Partnership with SimpliLearn: Similar MoU was signed with SimpliLearn for it to become a part of eSkillIndia platform and provide 100 hours of free course content.
- MoU has been signed with Ordnance Factory Board for re-skilling of surplus workers in Feburary 2020.
- NSDC signed/ finalized number of MOUs with other Ministries, States and Corporates for carrying out specific skilling assignments: Jal Jeevan Mission (RPL training for mason, electrician, plumber), Tamil Nadu House (RPL for their contractual Staff in Housekeeping), Bridgestone (to reskill tyre fitters), etc.
Initiatives by the Ministry in the wake of COVID-19 Pandemic:
- While the Ministry had made available all campuses of NSTI/ ITI for isolation/ quarantine facilities, as per reports received so far, 12 NSTI/ ITI buildings have been requisitioned by the District Authorities in light of CORONA. Similarly PMKVY training partners have also provided their premises for such facilities, including for a temporary hospital.
- Institutions under MSDE ecosystem have been active in manufacture of masks and hand sanitizers.
- Many of the ITIs/ NSTI have indulged in innovative design and manufacturing to assist the fight against COVID. Some of them are:
i) Service robot and telepresentation robot by ITI Cuttack.
ii) Hands free, walk in mass collection of samples for COVID testing by ITI Cuttack.
iii) Govt ITI Berhampur, Odisha designed and developed “Aerosol Box” which tightly shields health care providers face from patient’s face.
iv) NSTI Ludhiana has prepared an Aero Blaster Machine and handed it over to District Administration for sanitizing the city.
v)NSTI Mumbai developed pedal based (hands free) hand sanitizing system and installed in local police station.
vi) A list of one lakh trained Health Sector Professionals trained under PMKVY was sent to MoHFW through mail on 29/3, including their contact details such as Mobile numbers and email addresses. This was further amplified through a D.O. letter dated 3-4-2020, sent to Chief Secretaries of all States/UTs, sharing data of 1.75 Lakh such personnel.
- Restarting of Training: The ITIs, the training centres under PMKVY and Apprenticeship training establishments have started functioning in the month of October, except in four states, after permission was given for the same under Unlock 4.0. The centres are following the precautions laid down under the SOP issued by MoHFW, along with the detailed guidelines issued by this Ministry.
Other major initiatives:
- Kaushalacharya Awards 2020 – On 10th September 2020, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship organised the second edition of “Kaushalacharya Awards 2020”, an event to recognise some extraordinary teachers and skill trainers and honour their invaluable contribution to the skill ecosystem. A total of 92 teachers/trainers were awarded in five Award Categories.
- World Youth Skills Day Program (WYSD) – MSDE celebrated the WYSD on 15th July through a digital conclave in which the Hon’ Prime Minister gave his address through a video message, in which he congratulated the youth of the country on WYSD, and exhorted them to skill, reskill and upskill in order to remain relevant in the rapidly changing business environment and market conditions. The event was held in the presence of Dr.Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister, SDE, Shri R. K. Singh, MoS, MSDE, Shri A. M. Nayak, Group Chairperson, L&T and other dignitaries participated. The programme was watched by the entire skill ecosystem in lakhs, and trended on Twitter at number one position for a long period of time on the day.
- Swachhata Pakhwada 2020 Program – Swachhata Pakhwada was held in the second fortnight of July. One of the highlights was organization of a Webinar on “The Role of Hygiene in fighting Covid-19 epidemic and Review of preparation for re-opening of the Training Centres” on 31st July 2020.
- FDI Cell: A cell has been created in the Ministry to process the proposals received from the countries sharing border(s) with India and pertaining to MSDE, as per Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) prescribed by Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT).
- Rajbhasha Award 2020: The awards for events organized during Rajbhasha Pakhwada was conducted online on 28.10.2020. MOS distributed 30 awards in total six categories.
- Online Exam Preparation through NIMI Mocktest App: An android mobile App NIMI Mock Test was floated for pilot testing during the month of July 2020 for the benefit of students to assess themselves. So far 2,64,512 trainers/ trainees have registered. Students have the capability of generating their own question papers and attending the mock exams. At the end of the exam, a result analysis appears in the app. As of now, 3,97,296 such question papers have been generated and attempted by students.