InFocusSkill Development

Status Update on Flagship Skill Development Schemes

Employment through Skill Training& Placement (EST&P) component under the Mission aims to provide skill training to urban poor in market-oriented courses, so that they can set up self employment ventures or secure salaried employment.

Sharing is caring!

Major skill development training schemes/programmes, being implemented by Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, are Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY), Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS), National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) and Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS). Till now, the scheme-wise candidates trained are given at annexure-I.

As per the Quarterly Bulletin ( January-March 2021) of Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) conducted by National Statistical Office (NSO), the estimates of Unemployment Rate (UR) according to Current Weekly Status (CWS) in urban areas of different States for female, male and persons of age 15 years and above is 11.8%, 8.6% and 9.3% respectively. State-wise UR is given at annexure-II.

Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs assists the States / Union Territories (UTs) in urban development through its Missions- Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) 2.0, Smart Cities Mission (SCM), Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban (SBM-U) 2.0, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U) and also addresses livelihood concerns under Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM) and PM Street Vendor’s AtmaNirbharNidhi (PM SVANidhi).

Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) is implementing “Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana -National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAYNULM)”, in statutory towns to reduce poverty and vulnerability of urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, in order to improve their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions for the urban poor. The Employment through Skill Training& Placement (EST&P) component under the Mission aims to provide skill training to urban poor in market-oriented courses, so that they can set up self employment ventures or secure salaried employment. Further, Self Employment Programme (SEP) component focuses on financial assistance to individuals/groups/SHGs of urban poor for setting up gainful self-employment ventures or micro-enterprises.

Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs is implementing Pradhan Mantri Street Vendors’ Atma Nirbhar Nidhi Scheme (PM SVANidhi) since June 01, 2020 to facilitate working capital loan of upto Rs 10,000 of 1 year tenure to Street Vendors, vending in urban areas, to resume their businesses, adversely impacted by the pandemic.

Aatmanirbhar Bharat Rojgar Yojana (ABRY) was launched with effect from 1st October, 2020 as part of Atmanirbhar Bharat package 3.0 to incentivize employers for creation of new employment along with social security benefits and restoration of loss of employment during Covid-19 pandemic. This scheme being implemented through Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), seeks to reduce the financial burden of the employers and encourages them to hire more workers.

Under Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY), Government of India has  contributed both 12% employer’s share and 12% employee’s share under Employees Provident Fund (EPF), totalling 24% of the wage for the wage month from March to August, 2020 for  the establishments having upto 100 employees with 90% of such employees earning less than Rs. 15000/-.This has helped in protecting employment in EPFO registered establishments during post Covid period.

The unemployment benefit under the Atal Beemit Vyakti Kalyan Yojana being implemented by the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) has been enhanced to 50% from 25% of the average wage, payable upto 90 days, along with relaxation of eligibility conditions to claim the benefit.

Annexure referred to in reply to part (a) of the Rajya Sabha Unstarred Question No. 1853 for 17.03.2022 raised by Dr. Vikas Mahatme.

(In lakh)

SchemeCandidate enrolled/ trained
Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY ) since 2015132.54
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme (NAPS) since 201513.46
Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS) since 201810.62
Craftsmen Training Scheme (CTS) since 201575.39

This information was given by Shri Rameswar Teli, Minister of State, Ministry of Labour & Employment in Rajya Sabha

SMEStreet Edit Desk

SMEStreet Edit Desk is a small group of excited and motivated journalists and editors who are committed to building MSME ecosystem through valuable information and knowledge spread.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top button
%d bloggers like this: