Dell Brings Ground-Breaking Future-Ready Storage Solutions
Dell announced Storage Center Operating System 7, the culmination of a three-year effort to redefine the economics of enterprise storage with an innovative platform which embraces and helps accelerate the industry shift to modern, flash-based architectures.
Dell Storage Center Operating System 7 (SCOS 7) aggressively promotes the adoption of flash, elevates and abstracts data control through increased virtualization, and unifies Dell’s storage ecosystem across multiple portfolios. The release provides new intelligence and flexibility to help businesses “flash-forward,” advancing their infrastructures to meet today’s needs and prepare for future challenges. SCOS 7 delivers industry-leading capabilities resulting in significant business benefits for customers including:
- Helps lower acquisition costs across flash and hybrid arrays;
- Helps lower lifecycle costs through elevated, simplified management;
- Increased flexibility to respond to business and technology changes;
- Enhanced support for virtualization and cloud strategies; and
- Increased portfolio-level investment protection.
“Dell’s SC Series has always been an extremely progressive storage platform – and SCOS 7 is by far our most revolutionary software release to date,” said Alan Atkinson, vice president and general manager, Dell Storage. “We designed the SC platform from the ground up to be future ready and this release takes flash, deduplication and system intelligence to the next level.”
“In an era when everything is going digital, there is a colossal amount of unstructured data that is being generated due to industry trends such as Cloud, Mobility and Social. This will increase workloads on the datacenter and create possible performance bottlenecks,” said Neeraj Matiyani, Director, Storage Solutions, Dell India. “We at Dell are customer focused in our product innovation and SCOS 7 marks Dell’s most ground breaking storage software release to date. It offers a revolutionary approach and economics for all-flash and hybrid flash arrays with deeper intelligence and efficiency. SCOS 7 also delivers industry-leading deduplication, greater flexibility, virtualization and control with enhanced support for VMware, cloud and multi-tenancy environments. With this new OS release, customers will now have access to better technologies that will enable them in addressing workload demands and significant business benefits.”
“We saw a significant compression and data reduction ratio using the deduplication feature in Dell Storage SCOS 7, which is very good. Without deduplication I would be forced to buy more drives every 12 months. With it I will have enough available space to accommodate our customers’ projected growth for the next 18-24 months.” – Hans de Jongh, Director/Owner, IT Creation.
“We’ve looked at various solutions from many of the flash storage vendors listed in Gartner’s Solid State Array Magic Quadrant. We found the deduplication and thin provisioning features of the Dell Storage SCOS 7 to offer the best efficiency and performance. On top of that, it’s easier to use.” – Samuel Nadeau, IT Director, Infrastructure and Cloud Services, SherWeb.
Disruptive storage economics, enhanced capabilities
Already the industry price leader on a cost-per-gigabit basis for effective flash capacity , Dell’s SC Series now offers all-flash tiers under $0.45/GB, and hard drive tiers under $0.10/GB net effective capacity.2 SCOS 7 makes leading-edge storage technology practical for more workloads, enabling a fundamental transformation of the data center by eliminating acquisition cost barriers for flash and lowering ongoing expense with simplified management and increased efficiency,
- The most comprehensive data reduction – SCOS 7 helps customers store more data on fewer drives. New, patented Intelligent Deduplication and enhanced Intelligent Block-Level Compression can provide up to 10:1 capacity savings,3 which helps reduce the cost of both flash and disk tiers. SCOS 7 data reduction is fully-integrated with the SC Series’ innovative platform efficiency features, including auto-tiering. Deduplication and compression are each applied automatically and dynamically to optimize performance and cost savings throughout the data lifecycle.
- Increased data center flexibility – SCOS 7 elevates the storage management control, helping customers respond to changing requirements rapidly and with minimal disruption. With Dell’s new Live Migrate feature, multi-array federation becomes a standard capability for SC9000, SC8000 and SC4020 arrays. Storage administrators can now move volumes quickly and seamlessly between arrays, optimizing and re-balancing the environment without interrupting workloads and without purchasing additional virtualization hardware or software.
In addition, SCOS 7 offers more granular management targeting and control.
- New Quality of Service features help administrators automatically allocate resources to match their unique business priorities, ensuring top performance for mission-critical apps even in contentious multi-workload environments.
- VMware VVOLs support allows provisioning, monitoring and management of storage at a virtual machine level.
Together, these two features simplify management of multi-tenancy and cloud environments, helping IT managers provide consistent, policy-based storage services to their clients.
- Unified Dell Storage ecosystem – New Dell Storage Manager (DSM) software provides a common management platform with an HTML5-based interface for SC, PS and FS products.4 Building on the familiar capabilities of the previous SC Series Enterprise Manager, SCOS 7 adds bi-directional cross-platform replication between SC and PS arrays, and “single pane of glass” day-to-day management of both systems. Dell is the only storage vendor in the mid-range enterprise storage area to offer native cross-replication across product lines.5
PS Series customers now have the option to purchase either array platform with the knowledge that the full value of previous investments will be preserved and extended, if and when they decide to add SC to their environment.
SCOS 7 will be delivered as a free firmware upgrade for SC Series customers with a current support contract. Most SCOS 7 features are available immediately on SC9000, with general availability across the SC Series portfolio planned for Q3, 2016. Dell PS Series customers who want to take advantage of the new PS and SC unified management and cross-platform replication capabilities can upgrade to the new PS 9.0 firmware, available this month at no charge with a current support contract. Licenses between PS and SC series do not transfer and a Replication license is needed for the SC Series.’