VeriSign, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRSN), a global leader in domain names and internet security, announces that approximately 6.0 million domain name registrations were added to the internet in the second quarter of 2018, bringing the total number of domain name registrations to approximately 339.8 million across all top-level domains (TLDs).
The increase of approximately 6.0 million domain name registrations globally equates to a growth rate of 1.8 percent over the first quarter of 2018.1,2 The Domain Name Industry Brief (DNIB) further shows that domain name registrations have grown by approximately 7.9 million, or 2.4 percent, year over year.
Highlights of the Report:
- The .com and .net TLDs had a combined total of approximately 149.7 million domain name registrations in the domain name base3 at the end of Q2, 2018. This represents an increase of approximately 1.4 million domain name registrations, or 0.9 percent, compared to Q1 2017
- As of June 30, 2018, the .com domain name base totaled approximately 135.6 million domain name registrations, while the .net domain name base totaled approximately 14.1 million domain name registrations
- The .com and .net TLDs had a combined increase of approximately 5.3 million domain name registrations, or 3.7 percent, Y-O-Y
- New .com and .net domain name registrations totaled approximately 9.6 million at the end of Q2 2018, compared to 9.2 million domain name registrations for Q2 2017
- Growth of .com and .net domain names redirecting to popular global social media and e-commerce sites compared to Q2 2017 is dominated by Instagram (61%) followed by Etsy (12%) and LinkedIn (9%)
- Total new gTLD (ngTLD) domain name registrations were approximately 21.8 million at the end of Q2 2018, with an increase of 1.6 million domain name registrations, or 7.9 percent, compared to Q1 2018. ngTLDs decreased by approximately 2.5 million domain name registrations, or 10.4 percent, Y-O-Y
Verisign publishes the Domain Name Industry Brief to provide statistical and analytical research and data on the domain name industry. The second quarter 2018 Domain Name Industry Brief, as well as previous reports, can be obtained at Verisign.com/DNIB.